ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF DEPUTY PERMANENT SECRETARY
DPS is expected to provide administrative support to the machinery of government in designing, formulating and implementing government policies.
1. To assist the Supervising Officer in the administration and management of any department in the Ministry and to ensure the most economical, efficient and effective use of resources.
2. To assist in the formulation, co-ordination and implementation of Ministry’s policy, goals and objectives.
3. To assist the Supervising Officer in his/ her role of giving advice and support to Hon. Commissioner on current government business, including their executive duties.
4. To assist in the drafting of legislation and policy papers.
5. To work in close collaboration with public officers from a wide range of professional disciplines and to assist them in improving the operational efficiency and accountability of the units under their responsibility.
6. To initiate and implement programmes aiming at enhancing the organisational efficiency and effectiveness of a departments in the Ministry.
7. To represent Ministry on boards and committees, as and when required.
8. To promote the welfare of staff and ensure that the working environment is conducive to efficiency.
9. To use ICT in the performance of his/her duties.
10. To perform such other duties directly related to the main duties listed above or related to the delivery of the output and results expected from Deputy Permanent Secretaries in the roles ascribed to them.